Friday, April 27, 2012

Commuting: Not just a Property of mathematics...

So, if you are friends with me on "The Facebook" (sidebar: I loved how it was consistently referred to as "The Facebook" in the movie... ) then you know that I've recently changed jobs and am now commuting to DC for work. I've written about my adventures in trying to catch the buses I want and sometimes missing them and sometimes catching them. It's amazing that so many people would comment on my commuting statuses and wonder if I had caught the right bus and whatnot. My mom even suggested that I continue blogging about my commute... So, here I am, doing what my mom suggested. Hi, Mom!!! I love you!!!!

Initially, I thought that I should get off of the bus at the first possible stop. So, my bus stop was a few blocks from Union Station. This made my Metro ride last about 20 minutes or so. I started looking for an alternate stop after a particularly long work day was topped off by very loud and obnoxious teens on the Metro.
I decided that I would try the stop near the Farragut North Metro Station. It is soooo much better. First, it's closer to my office which makes for a shorter metro ride. Second, the bulk of the crowd gets off of the Metro before or at Farragut North so it's less crowded. Third, I get to walk by the White House every morning!!! Well, it's a couple of blocks away and my best view is when I'm smack in the middle of the crosswalk, but it's beautiful, nonetheless. You can barely see it between the trees in the photo... It had to be quick since I only have 27 seconds to cross the street and then there are often buses and people in the way.
This small change in my routine has made the commute much more enjoyable for me. It also means I can sleep longer on the bus when I'm heading home (if I'm not reading, blogging, working, or on "The Facebook").
So, that's how I get to work... Commuter bus to metro to office with some short walks in between. I did recently miss the last bus of the evening but I'll save that story for my next blog... Ha!
By the way, I'm still keeping life in bucket one! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment