Monday, October 11, 2010


When I was growing up, I relied mostly on people and books in order to learn new information.  My teachers, family and textbooks were the primary sources of information.  Now, there is 24/7 access to other people, information, books, music, and basically anything you could possibly want to know.  I have always been a bit of a 'do-it-yourself-er' type of person.  I like to look up things, and figure them out for myself.  Going to other people is often a last resort if I am relying on my instincts. 

For my formal learning, I use internet resources and books the majority of the time.  I then tend to use other people in my classes or professional development sessions to help me to solidify my position in regards to the new information.  I also bounce ideas off of my colleagues as well as my family or former students depending on what I need at the time.  I use Google Reader to subscribe to RSS feeds.  I have included topics on Instructional Design, teaching, music, educational psychology and other science news.  I have iGoogle as my homepage on my personal computer so that Google Reader along with news headlines and other information is easily accessible.

I read a variety of books.  I often try to read whatever is the most popular at the time so that I can have some common ground with my students.  I also read a lot of self help/inspirational books.  I have found that many books that are written to help someone improve their life have far reaching applications.  I have applied many techniques from authors like Tolle and Vitale in the classroom with much success.  These things help keep me motivated and help me to stay positive. 

I use the internet as my news source.  I don't like watching the news on TV.  I find it to be depressing, so I choose to read the news in order to stay up on current events.  I read MSNBC daily and often go to BBC news if I want another perspective on a topic.  I also use a small local news paper in order to see what is happening in my hometown in central West Virginia which in turn helps me to stay connected to my family and friends from back home. 

I am one of those people that tends to sit back and observe in a new situation so that I can learn from the people there.  Once I feel comfortable that I have assessed the new situation I will start to speak up and offer my opinion or expertise.  In this more informal learning, I rely heavily on other people.  I watch the interactions and reactions to the way information is presented.  I then use this knowledge to my advantage when I start being a more active participant. 

One thing my friends and family say about me is that I am resourceful.  If I want to know something, it typically doesn't take me long to find out.  Often my friends and family come to me when they need to know something.  I will find the information and forward it to them, along with an explanation of how I found it (always the teacher).  I enjoy learning and I am always looking for ways to improve myself and in doing so, I tend to use any and all resources I have available to me at the time.

As I write this, I realize that I may have left off a few other places I go to learn things.  I use television, YouTube, and iTunes on a regular basis.  YouTube is a fantastic resource for me as a choir director.  I often use it to find examples of other choirs singing the songs we are working on or to find exemplary choirs for us to emulate.  iTunes with the access to music, podcasts, iTunes U is also an excellent resource.  I would add these to my Internet Research section with the multiple search engines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment